A FOSS EDA dev room for FOSDEM 2015
Javier Serrano
2014-09-02 08:10:58 UTC
Dear all,

I recently submitted a proposal to the FOSDEM people to have a FOSS
EDA dev room in FOSDEM 2015 [1]. The goal is to bring people from the
different FOSS EDA projects together so we can discuss about status,
plans and opportunities for collaboration. In the team I work in at
CERN, we have been contributing to KiCad [2] and Icarus (adding VHDL
support).

My proposal was well received by the FOSDEM people, and they asked me
to give more details in the form of a tentative agenda and speaker
list before the deadline of 15 September, so they can properly
evaluate the proposal. I am looking for people who would like to speak
about gEDA. If you are interested, please contact me off list [3] so
we can discuss further.

I am also looking for contributions from ngspice and gnucap. If you
have any good contacts with those communities, I'd be grateful if you
could pass the message along.

Thanks in advance for your help. Cheers,

Javier

[1] https://fosdem.org/2015/news/2014-07-01-call-for-participation/
[2] http://www.ohwr.org/projects/cern-kicad/wiki
[3] https://phonebook.cern.ch/phonebook/#personDetails/?id=476608
Ouabache Designworks
2014-09-02 17:18:32 UTC
On Tue, Sep 2, 2014 at 1:10 AM, Javier Serrano <
Post by Javier Serrano
Dear all,
I recently submitted a proposal to the FOSDEM people to have a FOSS
EDA dev room in FOSDEM 2015 [1]. The goal is to bring people from the
different FOSS EDA projects together so we can discuss about status,
plans and opportunities for collaboration. In the team I work in at
CERN, we have been contributing to KiCad [2] and Icarus (adding VHDL
support).
Could we do something like this for oscon? That's the o'rielly open source
conference usually held in Portland, Or.

http://www.oscon.com/oscon2014

Mostly software types so far but it would not be a stretch to include EDA
tools. How about DVCON or Embedded Systems or DAC?
Could we get a birds-of-a-feather room set up for little to no $$$?

John Eaton
Bert Timmerman
2014-09-02 17:49:38 UTC
Post by Javier Serrano
[...]
Hi all,

FOSDEM is on January 31st, 2015 and February 1st, 2015 in Brussels,
Belgium, Europe, Earth.

I'm contemplating to go for the odd chance to meet other (gEDA)
developers and/or users, as Brussels is not that far away for me, just a
2 hour drive from Amsterdam and not slightly longer by hi-speed rail link.

I'm not going to speak to an audience for reasons of not having prepared
a speak and having issues with hearing disabilities.

Is anyone in the EU (or further away) interested in coming too ?

Please let us all know if you are in for a gEDA "meet and greet".

Kind regards,

Bert Timmerman.
Peter Clifton
2014-09-04 02:24:03 UTC
Post by Bert Timmerman
Hi all,
FOSDEM is on January 31st, 2015 and February 1st, 2015 in Brussels,
Belgium, Europe, Earth.
I'm contemplating to go for the odd chance to meet other (gEDA)
developers and/or users, as Brussels is not that far away for me, just a
2 hour drive from Amsterdam and not slightly longer by hi-speed rail link.
I'm not going to speak to an audience for reasons of not having prepared
a speak and having issues with hearing disabilities.
Is anyone in the EU (or further away) interested in coming too ?
Please let us all know if you are in for a gEDA "meet and greet".
I don't usually like to organise my diary more than about a week in
advance, but I might be tempted, especially if there are going to be a
number of gEDA interested people meeting up.

Its a shame I don't have many spare cycles for gEDA/PCB at the moment
though - but recently, when I have got a free evening / weekend, I have
been working on some cool core features in PCB.

I'm slowly trying to make PCB support native, non-approximated
arc-segments in its polygons. Surprisingly difficult that is. (VERY VERY
DIFFICULT?).

I've got most of the geometric stuff done, bar a few less common
code-paths. The real work is figuring out why it is so often broken (and
for simple geometry). I'll feel stupid if it turns out those corner
cases I deliberately skipped for now are the cause!

Oh...

If there is an EDA gathering at FOSSDEM, it might be worth getting
together with the KiCAD folks, and seeing if we can invite (and sponsor)
Alfons Wirtz (from freerouting.net), to talk about autorouter design.

Last we spoke, he was keen to talk (to anyone) about autorouter design,
after Zucken's lawyers bullied him into shutting down freerouting.net.
Alfons used to work for Zucken, on their autorouter).

Kind regards,

Peter
Post by Bert Timmerman
Kind regards,
Bert Timmerman.
--
Peter Clifton <peter.clifton-j0HF+osULJQMjHSeoOxd2MuBeof9RJB+Wmv/***@public.gmane.org>

Clifton Electronics
Javier Serrano
2014-09-04 12:18:39 UTC
On Thu, Sep 4, 2014 at 4:24 AM, Peter Clifton <pcjc2-KWPb1pKIrIJaa/***@public.gmane.org> wrote:
[snip]
Post by Peter Clifton
If there is an EDA gathering at FOSSDEM, it might be worth getting
together with the KiCAD folks, and seeing if we can invite (and sponsor)
Alfons Wirtz (from freerouting.net), to talk about autorouter design.
[snip]

A semi-formal commitment from someone to present and discuss gEDA will
make it more likely that my proposal for a dev room gets accepted.
Come on people! :)
Of course we can meet without a dev room too, but if nothing else, a
dev room has the merit of being an unequivocal place people can go to
any time of that day to meet other people with similar interests.
On the subject of routers and autorouters: FWIW my colleague Tomasz
Wlostowski should be there. He is the author of KiCad's new
interactive router. We met with Alfons not long ago and he gave Tom
some good ideas.

Cheers,

Javier
Peter Clifton
2014-09-04 22:03:48 UTC
Post by Javier Serrano
[snip]
Post by Peter Clifton
If there is an EDA gathering at FOSSDEM, it might be worth getting
together with the KiCAD folks, and seeing if we can invite (and sponsor)
Alfons Wirtz (from freerouting.net), to talk about autorouter design.
[snip]
A semi-formal commitment from someone to present and discuss gEDA will
make it more likely that my proposal for a dev room gets accepted.
Come on people! :)
I'm happy to present something if I attend, but I can't always rule out
work commitments getting in the way. Sometimes stuff can crop up at
quite short notice.
Post by Javier Serrano
On the subject of routers and autorouters: FWIW my colleague Tomasz
Wlostowski should be there. He is the author of KiCad's new
interactive router. We met with Alfons not long ago and he gave Tom
some good ideas.
Cool - I really like the videos of KiCad's interactive router, I and
would love to hear details of how it works from the author!

Glad to hear Alfons was of help, it sounds like he got quite a bad
treatment from Zucken. It makes me smile to think that their actions
ended up furthering the state of free and open competition to their
products.

His free-routing code-base might be considered tainted (or a source of
legal grief to those who distribute it), but the ideas and concepts are
definitely out there now.

Best wishes,
--
Peter Clifton <peter.clifton-j0HF+osULJQMjHSeoOxd2MuBeof9RJB+Wmv/***@public.gmane.org>

Clifton Electronics
Javier Serrano
2014-09-05 06:56:10 UTC
Post by Peter Clifton
I'm happy to present something if I attend, but I can't always rule out
work commitments getting in the way. Sometimes stuff can crop up at
quite short notice.
That's more than good enough for now. Thanks!
Post by Peter Clifton
Glad to hear Alfons was of help, it sounds like he got quite a bad
treatment from Zucken. It makes me smile to think that their actions
ended up furthering the state of free and open competition to their
products.
Some kind of Streisand effect at work :)

Cheers,

Javier
Peter Stuge
2014-09-29 11:46:24 UTC
Javier - thanks for initiating a devroom! Good idea.
Post by Bert Timmerman
Is anyone in the EU (or further away) interested in coming too ?
Please let us all know if you are in for a gEDA "meet and greet".
FOSDEM is always a good time. I'll be there.

If you like to try many kinds of beer together with a thousand
developers in a far too small pub then make sure to arrive in time
for the beer event on Friday night!
Post by Bert Timmerman
A semi-formal commitment from someone to present and discuss gEDA will
make it more likely that my proposal for a dev room gets accepted.
Come on people! :)
I'm up for doing something gEDA! I'd be happy to present the idea of
creating a parameterized parts database common to all projects.

//Peter
Javier Serrano
2014-09-29 12:35:44 UTC
Post by Peter Stuge
I'm up for doing something gEDA! I'd be happy to present the idea of
creating a parameterized parts database common to all projects.
Sounds great, Peter! I'll keep you all posted on the decision of the
FOSDEM people.

Cheers,

Javier

Vladimir Zhbanov
2014-09-02 20:03:19 UTC
On Tue, Sep 02, 2014 at 10:10:58AM +0200, Javier Serrano wrote:
Post by Javier Serrano
I am also looking for contributions from ngspice and gnucap. If you
have any good contacts with those communities, I'd be grateful if you
could pass the message along.
gnucap and ngspice have their own mailing lists which are listed at
http://savannah.gnu.org/mail/?group_id=562 for gnucap and
http://sourceforge.net/p/ngspice/mailman/?source=navbar for ngspice

HTH,
Vladimir